HomeScienceResearchers Are Puzzled By New Dark Matter Information

Researchers Are Puzzled By New Dark Matter Information

Dark matter has been a source of heated discussions among the scientific community for a long time, especially since many of the properties of the elusive substance have remained a mystery. New information seems to add new complications instead of answers

According to a new paper published by a team of researchers, there is a major discrepancy between the amount of dark matter present in three clusters of galaxies, which include a vast number of stars and the way in which the matter should be distributed.

Dark matter wonders

Current research infers that dark matter plays an essential role in the way in which stars are distributed inside a galaxy while also contributing to the conditions which are needed for the formation of galactic clusters. Despite these impressive traits, it doesn’t interact with light in any way, nor with other known particles.

It is estimated that up to 96% of the universe contains dark matter, while palpable matter, which forms stars, planets, and all the other objects, reaches only 4%. Many studies have tried to uncover some of the details related to dark matter, but in many, the researchers found even more contradictions.

New contradictions

The presence of dark matter can be observed due to the strong gravitational pull exerted on  visible matter. Unlike dark energy, which is even more elusive and tends to push objects away, dark matter will attract objects and hold them together.

Due to the impressive gravitational pull exerted by dark matter, the light which travels from distant sources will bend, a phenomenon which is known as gravitational lensing. Observations made with the Hubble Space Telescope and the Very Large Telescope have revealed that gravitational lensing was considerably stronger than expected in the galaxies observed by the researchers, inferring that the concentration of dark matter is considerably stronger than expected according to the data offered by simulations.




Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Most Popular

Recent Comments